Monday, January 26, 2009

Save Malta from racism and xenophobia

Now that's a facebook group that I would gladly join. Here are a few others:

Save Malta from ignorance.
Save Malta from partisan politics.
Save Malta from noise pollution.
Save Malta from vehicle exhaust.
Save Malta from building development.
Save Malta from hunters.
Save Malta from religious intolerance.
Save Malta from mediocrity.
Save Malta from linguistic mayhem.
Save Malta from its insular perspective.

I don't wish to give the impression that I despise my country. Far from it. On the contrary, I feel strongly about these issues because I love Malta, and would dearly wish for it to become truly European, in spirit rather than just nominally.

I wonder why the bunch of brave crusaders who want to save Malta from illegal immigrants did not raise a whimper when Malta experienced a similar influx of ex-Yugoslav, Russian and Ukrainian migrants, also illegal, in the 1990s. Could it be because eastern Europeans are not black? I wonder...

No comments: