Sunday, March 20, 2016

Two weeks to go before Paris

At least in my case, the main story behind most marathons is in the build-up, rather than in the actual marathon itself.

The Paris marathon, that I hope to run in two weeks' time today, looks like being another case in point.

I decided that I wanted to run the Paris marathon in September 2014, while on a visit there. Being in Paris always thrills me, and touring around the various landmarks such as the Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Place de la Concorde and so many others, I thought: I just have to run the Paris marathon. My next scheduled marathon was in spring the following year, so I no longer had any doubt where that would happen. I resolved that in 7 months' time I would run through the middle of the Champs Elysees.

Except that I didn't. So many things can go wrong in the build-up to a marathon, so I often leave it till the latest possible to commit myself by paying the entrance fee. This time I left it too late because in January 2015, 3 months before the event, it was already sold out. Which is why in April 2015 I ran the Vienna marathon instead.

Well... Paris is still there and I'm still running, so what I failed to do in 2015 I could always do in 2016. This time I didn't take any chances. Almost a full year before the big day, I entered my name for the Paris marathon.

I had ample time to plan my training. My plan is quite simple for any event - in one week I normally go for 3 runs of 10 km plus one long run. The 10k's may optionally include a speed session or a race. The long run becomes longer by 15 minutes every 3 weeks, i.e. 1 and a half hours for 3 weeks, then 1h 45minutes the following 3 weeks, and so on until I reach 3 hours. My longest run before a marathon is 3h 15 minutes (equivalent to about 36 km), which is followed by tapering for the 3 weeks leading to the event.

Last year in Vienna I tired out quite badly in the last few kilometres, so I thought that in 3 weeks tapering I may have been losing some endurance. This time I decided that the last very long run would be 2 weeks before the marathon and that I would ensure that the last 2 weeks would be very easy so that I am well rested on the big day. I also decided that only one 36k was not enough to get used to running very long distances. My last very long run at 2 weeks out would be my second 36k. This was the plan:

1h30 x 3 --- 1h45 x 3 --- 2h x 3 and so on until 2h45 x 3 --- one week break --- 3h x 2 --- 3h15 x 2

The last four very long runs would be every one and a half weeks instead of once a week, to allow enough time for leg muscle recovery. In the plan I built in two weeks for unforeseen stoppages for mishaps or illness, but none happened so I ran a 20 kilometre race, Les Hivernales de Boitsfort, in early February to fill in the schedule.

The plan worked like a dream. I overcame snow, wind, rain, back injury, a cold coinciding precisely with a stoppage for a holiday in Montenegro, plantar fasciitis, mild tendonitis... without missing a single long run! Three hours for 33k, then 36k... practically perfect runs.

Today would have been my last 36k, then 2 weeks very easy to be rested and in good shape for the big day. It was not to be, of course. I now have a nasty cold. My Facebook newsfeed 'reminds' me that in two weeks' time I'll be running the Schneider Paris Marathon. Let's just hope that I'll recover sufficiently to get back into shape.

It's a good thing I had included two 36k runs and not just one. My last long run before the marathon will be 3 and a half weeks before - much too long for comfort, but that's the way it has to be. At least it was 36k and not just 33k. And my leg muscles will surely be rested.

About 8 years ago I ran a full marathon on just one 3 hour long run (plus of course the normal build up) a full six weeks before the event followed by four weeks of no running at all due to a cold. This time I've done 3 hours twice, then 3 hours 15 minutes 'only' 3 and a half weeks before the event. I can still do Paris.

I only dearly hope to recover very soon from the cold and that it doesn't last for 4 weeks!

No comments: