Thursday, August 21, 2008

And the search goes on...

But what for, exactly?

Am I searching for the lost plot? Eternal youth? Happiness? The truth? The origins of the universe? The meaning of life? All of them, and more actually.

For the time being I'll limit myself to searching for an identity to this blog. This search is manifesting itself in numerous changes in the title. Up till now this has changed from In-Nazzjon Malti, to L-Ispazju ta' Tonio, The Search Goes On, to the present On this and that. The subtitles are also constantly changing from various permutations of the cited titles, but also including "...but I still haven't found out what I'm looking for" (a slight change from they lyric in the song by U2), and "my less objectionable reflections revealed" (which I deemed much too negative).

In-Nazzjon Malti was intended to be the title of a satirical commentary in Maltese, carrying on, 25 years later, from what I had done by handwriting, on fool scaps, in the early 80s. I would dearly wish to know what became of the unique copies of those two editions. In those days of Deserta chocolate, Xandir Malta (in black and white), and the Foreign Interference Act, one needed the Maltese Prime Minister's official permission to use the words Malta, national, and their derivations in any name, hence the glorious name for this "newspaper"...

L-Ispazju ta' Tonio is the title of my first blog space on http://run42k.spaces.live.com/, from which I've migrated with much reluctance, as I deem it to be a very good effort. For the sake of continuity, I originally kept the same title here, but then I thought the rebranding needed to be more complete. I have already referred to this feeling that I often have, that I'm searching for some elusive ultimate truth, so the words "and the search goes on..." came into my mind as a description for this blog, and were eventually "promoted" to blog title.

For the time being, I've settled on On this and that, which I think is the best description of what I have in mind for this blog. I have noticed that my first entries here are quite different from the more personal style I adopted in L-Ispazju ta' Tonio, but I don't wish to abandon that style, and I hope the chosen title will be a reminder for me to vary as much as possible the content of this space.

By the way, I recently discovered that you need to become a registered member of windows live spaces in order to be able to send a comment there, which of course is a very efficient method how to scare away most potential interactivity. Apparently, that is not necessary here. So if you, dear reader, have anything at all to say about my ravings here, your comments would be much appreciated!

No comments: