Sunday, November 22, 2009

CXL.6 Sterrebeek - 15.4km - 1h12:44

After the Brussels marathon of 5 October I thought there would be a long, bleak winter period without any competitive activity.
I was wrong.
Today I took part in a very interesting event - the Sterrebeek 15.4km. On 20 December I hope to take part in a 10k starting and finishing beneath the Atomium - the most internationally recognisable icon in Belgium. Later in early February I should do what's now becoming a regular feature of my winter running - Les Hivernales de Boitsfort (20k). All the while I'll be building up for my next marathon, which, unforeseen circumstances permitting, should be the Maasmarathon in Vise/Maastricht/Vise in early May. I'm certainly looking forward to that!
As I said, Sterrebeek was indeed very interesting. There's not much to be said about the town itself. It's pretty much a run-of-the-mill Flemish residential town. It was a gusty Sunday morning, not too cold and much against the recent trend mainly sunny, but very windy. A few turnings around street corners after the start, and then we hit the countryside.
The race consisted mainly of long, straight paths running through open agricultural land, very picturesque, the route forming two large rectangles so that the wind was on occasion a head wind while on others it blew sideways or from behind. It was quite strong most of the time, and late in the second loop I was almost running on the spot against close to a gale force wind. Ground conditions were also varied, ranging from normal dry concrete paving to muddy and slippery paving, grass and irregular ground typical of races in Belgium. The Belgians do love their forest paths, the more treacherous the better... Well, I'm gradually getting used to this type of terrain, although I don't think I'll ever prefer it to good old, straightforward road surfacing. Today I also managed to drink from a cup while running - the trick is to press the rim into a narrow U-shape, and pour the water into my mouth.
I ran at a strong steady pace, never really tiring except for the windier parts in the late stages. I overtook a large number of rivals along the way until in the second loop, the field of competitors having thinned out considerably, I was almost alone. In the last two kilometres I did try to catch up with the next runner who was about 60 metres ahead, but to no avail. I reached the finish at a strong pace in 1h12:44. The slower-than-anticipated time is probably due to the adverse ground and weather conditions.
There will soon be an opportunity to try this again, in hopefully better conditions as the next edition will be on 6 June, and will become part of the Watermolen Cup series. I look forward to coming back here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello
Your comment has been copied onto our website www.cxl6.be, in the stories of the 2009 jogging.
I also have mentioned the source of the text, respecting its origin. Your text was located next to our "affiche".
I hope you will agree.
If not let me know and I will erase the text from our website.
Thanks and best regards
Michaël
webmaster www.cxl6.be