Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The hardest part of a marathon

Marathon day is now just four days away. All that remains is a thirty minute easy run on Friday, just to keep the good old leg muscles going. Then I can look forward to the next run, which will be the big one on Sunday in Prague.

Except that this time the good old leg muscles have failed me. Since several weeks I have an injury in my left hamstring, and it seems it will last forever. It's so frustrating, more so now that the days are getting longer, the weather is ideal for running, the racing season is well under way, and all I can do is rest, wait until I'm completely recovered, try not to gain too much weight, and hope I don't lose all the fitness achieved through such careful build-up and so many long, long runs,.

All the while, the registration is still in place. We're going to Prague. I could theoretically take part in the marathon; in fact I'm still receiving emails on the event from the organisers. But I have hardly run at all since several weeks, and it still hurts whenever I do try to run. So there's no point in turning up at the start - it would be a painful experience, it would only make my injury worse, and this time, unlike October 2007 in Brussels, I'll never pull off a miracle and complete the distance. No. I'll stay at the hotel, eat breakfast and gain a bit more weight.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the hardest part of a marathon is getting to the starting line.

There's a silver lining. When I start all over again my motivation to do well will be double what it was in January.

No comments: