Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Post-marathon blues?

So what's next after last Sunday's marathon?

Medium term: quite a clear target here - the Vise Maasmarathon. This event, which is held in May, starts at Vise in Belgium, going along the Meuse (Maas) riverbank into Maastricht in the Netherlands, and back to the starting point. It's an interesting idea, and in fact the organisers market this marathon as an intra-European event, in full European integration spirit. It seems to be a pleasant enough, flat route, not too crowded. The month of May itself is attractive. Seven months is enough time to take a good rest from last Sunday and build up to the next marathon. Besides, I enjoyed Maastricht when I visited it last summer, and would love to include it in my next marathon. So, unless any unforeseen circumstances crop up, the Vise Maasmarathon it will be.

Long term: to run as many marathons as my health and well-being will allow. I have two targets in particular, but I won't spell them out yet... Make that three.

Short term: ah, there I get stuck. Nothing interesting in sight except for a long, dark winter, which one can hardly consider to be very interesting. They don't organise many races during winter here, at least, not any that I know of. I won't even be in Malta in time for my favourite Mdina-Spinola this year, so basically I don't have anything at all to motivate me, except the Vise marathon. Actually it might be a good thing as I can relax for a while. But will I have any motivation to do speed training? I don't think so!

No comments: