Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How to run a marathon - 4 - when the going gets tough...

... the tough get going. I sometimes repeat this saying to myself when I run, and it often helps.

Running is not always like a walk in the park. You're going to encounter challenging situations, including bad weather, difficult terrain, dogs, injuries, illnesses, or simply off days.

Bad weather

The worst weather for running is not when it's rainy or wintry - you can normally overcome these conditions - but when it's hot and humid. That's a nasty combination, and you need to be extra careful here. You have to ensure you're sufficiently hydrated (this applies for all your running, but especially when it's hot and humid). In the peak of summer, i.e. in temperatures exceeding the high twenties, you should only run early in the morning or in the evening, and drink enough water before, possibly during, and after the run. Running in late morning to early afternoon on a hot day is a definite no-no - you would be risking heatstroke, which is a potentially fatal condition. Just don't do it.

The other extreme... winter. Rain is not much of a problem. I find that I get wet anyway when I run, whatever the weather conditions. Many runners wear waterproof jackets. I don't - I dislike having sweaty air trapped inside this type of clothing. I simply ignore the rain. For me the only change when it rains is that I'm extra careful where I tread. There are puddles, which could easily hide dangerous potholes, besides which the ground is slippery and motorists have limited visibility. Basically, when it's rainy you have to be a bit more careful. Otherwise, I normally find running in the rain to be an exhilarating experience!

Strong wind is a bit of a nuisance - when it's a headwind. But again, unless it's an extreme case, in which case you should be looking after your own house and not training, all you need to do is literally take it in your stride. Accept the fact that you'll have to run at a slower pace, and console yourself, if you're running in a loop, that for half the time the wind will be pushing you forward.

Snow... is definitely a problem if it's thick on the ground. If you live in an area with snow for extended periods, you'll have to either find yourself a track or trail that is maintained and de-snowed regularly, use a treadmill indoors, or simply wait for the end of the snowy season. In the meantime you could take up cross country skiing, which is the snowbound version of long distance running.

Hail is even worse. Running while it's snowing is OK if it's not thick on the ground. It's rather fun, in fact. But hail is bad - a shower of stones falling down on your head. If you're unfortunate enough to get caught running in a hailstorm, just cover your head the best you can with your arms and run for shelter.

Cold weather is as unpleasant as hot weather, except that you can do something about it. All you need to do is wear enough (but not too many!) layers of clothing so that you don't feel cold. This you can only fine tune through trial and error. Before I run on a cold day, I normally check the temperature and cover myself accordingly - cycling shorts, number of shirts, long or short sleeves, sweat shirt, thin gloves, thick gloves, two sets of gloves, woolen cap...

The other challenging situations will have to wait for my next blog in this series. I'll sign off for tonight with Week 6 of our beginners' schedule:

Week 6 (minutes of running at an easy pace, starting on Monday): 0, 45, 45, 0, 45, 0, 60

Enjoy your running :-)

No comments: